Saturday, November 22, 2008

IN CRAP WE TRUST

On my way home from work the other day, I found myself eavesdropping on the two girls behind me. They were in their early 20's, having a heated discussion about the impending holiday, and the undue stress they were having in trying to decide what they "wanted."

"I just don't know. I don't think I NEED anything... I mean, I don't need any clothes. I don't need any technology. But I have to GET SOMETHING!"

"I know. It's the same for me. I just got some really cool I-Pod speakers, so I don't need those. But my mom asked me what I wanted. I don't know!"

I was wholly mentally overthrown that these weren't five year olds talking about the latest Teddy Ruxpin tape (or whatever the fuck they're into these days...) These were(at least physically- apparently not so much in the mental department...) grown ass adult people.

When I pass a strip mall, 9 times out of 10 I can say with every last ounce of sound conviction that there is not one business in it that I would use. With this comes a deeply resounding pang of loss- what've we done to this country? "Marshland? Feh! We need a strip mall that will be the NEW home to a store that only sells socks, a tanning salon, an H&R Block office, and a Hallmark store! And that's ALL too! Make sure there's plenty of parking- that wig shop is gonna blow up big time. Just run the steamroller right over those peaceful ducks, there. Fuck 'em!"

As we approach the "busiest shopping day of the year" (recession be damned) I think now is as good a time as any for us as a collective people to take a look at all the shit we have, realize maybe we don't need any more shit, and that maybe we aren't even using or appreciating most of the shit we do have.

Oh my God! Circuit City is going out of business! I say, who gives a fart. Because you can get all the stuff they sell at a million other places, including numerous featureless nationwide chain-behemoths. If you prefer buying your computer and speaker goods in a vast, depressing warehouse, I'm pretty damned sure Best Buy will still take your nearly maxed out credit card.

And yet- all diabolical diatribes aside- the truly sad thing here, folks, is that... I don't know know what *I* want for Christmas. I don't NEED anything- I don't need any technology. But I HAVE to GET SOMETHING!

Enjoy your families and foodstuffs this week. And maybe, at least for that day, don't buy any shit you don't need.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home