Wednesday, October 14, 2009

MAKIN' THAT DOUGH- Charlie Parr's Too Much Liquor, Not Enough Gasoline

Charlie Parr is a phenomenal storyteller and guitar picker (of the Piedmont tradition) from Duluth, MN. I had the pleasure of putting together the artwork for his Independent Records Ireland debut,
Too Much Liquor, Not Enough Gasoline.


It's a sort of retrospective collecting some truly outstanding gems from Charlie's last handful of self-released records.

Charlie has an off-kilter, laid back and hugely authentic style about him that seems to be lacking in most "revivalist" traditional country blues-types going nowadays. These songs manage to sound modern while inexplicably simultaneously sounding like they could be some long forgotten gem from Blind Willie McTell or Mississippi John Hurt.

If you haven't heard him, I highly suggest doing so, especially if you're at all a fan of country blues or classic folk singer-songwriters of the John Prine/Dave Van Ronk/Kristofferson ilk. Or, hell- just a fan of really fucking good music.

Check out his website:

www.charlieparr.com

Buy a record or two- you'll be damn glad you did. Should he find his way in your town, you'll never find a better reason to get yourself out of the house and watch a master of the form at work.

This record is available from Independent Records Ireland:

www.independentrecords.ie

These are lo-res files, so they're a titch blurry, but you don't mind that now do ya?

It looks a lot better when you order yer own copy and see it in person.

Bottoms up...


Booklet cover:

Inside booklet:

CD face:

CD tray back:

1 Comments:

Blogger B McMolo said...

That looks great - I might even check that out. (If you knew how infrequently I buy CDs these days, you'd know that 'them's fightin' words.')

You should make a poster for that - I'd get one! Maybe even three.

I was moving my Endless Stack of Papers from one side of the room to the other today and what did I sit down and re-read but Ragbag Comics - Smoke Em if You Got Em. Great stuff - I enjoy that and Paradise Lost quite a damn bit.

Then I realized I hadn't looked at your blog in awhile. D'oh! Guess I've got some reading to do.

Always a pleasure, sir - send me an email or something when you've got new product, lest I let myself lazily lapse as I did this time and leave you in the lurch! And other alliterative things.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home